Friday, September 7, 2012

Electronic Music - Day 1

I recently started a master's program in sociology. You might think that electronic music and sociology have pretty much nothing in common, and you wouldn't be too far off. The only connection I can think of is that after reading through a bajillion books and articles every day, repetitive electronic music starts to sound pretty good. There's that, and the fact that one of the students in my cohort is from Michigan, where electronic music has some roots.

I sometimes tell people that I like electronic music, but the truth is that in true hipster fashion, I just say that because I like LCD Soundsystem and Daft Punk. I realized how little I know after talking to my Michigan friend. In order to remedy this, in a half intellectual half pleasure-seeking sort of way, I'm going to spend some time each week finding and posting what I think is excellent. 

Here's the first song: "Mean Old Devil," by Bruce Haack.

I chose this track for a variety of reasons. First of all, Bruce Haack was one of the pioneers of electronic music. His music, especially this one, busts some stereotypes about electronic music (aka, it's not all techno/rave/dubstep). In fact, Bruce Haack made a bunch children's records and books on record (with his own soundtracks) before he made any other record. And yes, he did appear on The Mr. Roger's Show.

Enjoy this cool old gem! Also, check out the post next Friday for the special birthday edition!




No comments: