Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Nnnnggghrhnnnhhghrhgh..."

We all know that falling asleep during lecture is bound to happen from time to time. How many times a day do we see Susan gazing into the eternities of the blackboard, her eyes unfocused and her jaw slightly dropped? How about Bobby, whose sloppy notes are used to soak up the pool of drool expanding from the corner of his mouth? How many times have we been Bobby or Susan? The picture below is a scan from my Portuguese workbook. I attend that class at 8:00 AM, and occasionally I behave like the sleepy Susan (thankfully, I usually don't share Bobby's symptoms). Let's take a closer look. You may need to click on the image to see the full resolution.


1. I fill in the first blank, and then a sudden heaviness falls upon me and disturbs my equilibrium. I fill in the second blank, though not without significant effort. I circle the vowels several times, just to be certain that I wrote the word correctly.

2. Realizing that I am losing consciousness, I snap awake and answer the question with a sudden burst of energy. All is not right, however. My handwriting fades as I progress through the Sentence. The sentence, translated as, "the children didn't know that the adults were tired," beautifully foreshadows of the next stage,

3. complete unconsciousness.

4. ...

5. Caught in transit between Neverland and BYU (accessible via pixie dust), I attempt to copy the answers as they float by me. The writing is difficult. I don't want to write. I just want to fly. Fly and think happy thoughts.

"When I was young I always went to bed at 8:00 O'clock."

6. My last happy thought fades and I touch down at BYU. Still not quite fully conscious, however, I'm hit with a bout of dyslexia and write not Portuguese, but Greek.

"Where did you get such beautiful pants?"

No comments: