Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Physics and Michael's Childhood.

This evening while participating in a conversation about physics(don't think this is normal), my thoughts drifted to my childhood and my first hands-on experience with Newton's first law of motion.

One fine summer before the Fourth of July, my family and my cousins went camping near Provo before seeing a large fireworks show. Our camping site was located at the bottom of a large, sandy hill spotted with rocks and sagebrush. It beckoned us like the ice cream man, and we were at the top within 30 seconds.

All was fun and games until our parents called us down. I remember wanting to beat everyone down the hill, and unfortunately, I did. I moved one foot, the other.. faster. Faster! Oh no! No brakes!

My run turned into a roll, and I tumbled down the steep hill and landed in a well-placed sagebrush. I think someone took pity on my poor, ignorant self - I managed to avoid every rock and landed in the only sagebrush within a 20' radius.


So, remember kids, "A body continues to maintain its state of rest or of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external unbalanced force!"

No comments: